These black magic cupcakes are a deep, dark, rich cocoa-flavored cake topped with a sweet, creamy vanilla bean buttercream icing. They taste divine! Would look good on a table sitting next to the Finger Cookies.
Yield: approx. 24 cupcakes
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Black Magic Cupcakes Ingredients:
For the CupCakes:
• 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 cups granulated sugar
• 3/4 cup unsweetened dutch process cocoa (I used Rodelle®)
• 2 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 large eggs, at room temperature
• 1 cup strong brewed coffee (I used 2 tsp espresso powder with 1 cup water)
• 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
• 1/2 cup canola oil
• 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the Icing:
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
• pinch of salt
• 1 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
• 4 cups powdered sugar
• 2-4 TBS milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two standard-sized muffin tins with paper liners. (I used the parchment ones and LOVE them! Nothing sticks to them!)
2. In large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa, and salt. Whisk to combine. Make an indention in the middle.
3. In a large glass measure or small bowl, combine the eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Pour into the center of the dry ingredients.
4. Mix the batter with an electric mixer on medium for 2 minutes. Batter will be thin. Don’t worry!
5. Fill prepared muffin tins about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool on racks.
6. While cupcakes are cooling, prepare icing. in large bowl, combine the butter, pinch of salt, and vanilla bean paste with an electric mixer. Mix on medium speed until butter is fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add in powdered sugar, one cup at a time, beating on medium speed after each addition until all powdered sugar is combined with the butter. Add milk, 1 TBS at a time, while mixer is running until icing is smooth and spreadable. Frost cupcakes when cool and decorate, as desired.
Black Magic Cupcakes By Renee’s Kitchen Adventures – Adapted from Allrecipes